Saturday, October 01, 2005

encryption & geocaching

firstly thankyou to my many commenters on yesterdays post... in an indirect way the friendless tag has already increased my comments... still not overly impressed with the way it's done, noone likes to be told they're friendless, even in an effort to get more friends...

todays little journey begins with this post by j_s over in canada, she is one of three livejournal women who show up on my LJ friends page, one of whom is my sister felinity who also has a blog over here on blogger to document her knitting projects... i only got my little presence over on LJ so i could read felinity, vilebody completes the 3...

j_s's post is encrypted and i had a fun 15 minutes trying to work out the encryption, which i did by searching for individual words in the wider web, lucking out with geocaches whose hints use the same encryption and who give you the option of decrypting them... so i copied the encrypted and decrypted versions of the same text and worked out what was going on...

all very nice intellectual hunting, and this geocaches i found on the way...?

so i've registered with them, although i haven't left my room since i first heard of them so i haven't done anything more yet, there are a few london caches to be found... but i'm getting ahead of myself,

the way it works is you hide something, somewhere in the world, then give clues as to where it is on this site, other people can then find it - unwrap it - whatever it is, wrap it back up again and rehide it in the same spot for others to find... then they can leave you a comment...

kind of similar to bookcrossing which i still haven't done, where you leave a book in a public place with a url & a reference number inside the front cover, people who find it can go the website, type in the reference number and leave comments for you...

there is mention on the geocaches site about a GPS unit - which i don't have - i don't know if you need one to find the caches, or if us non-GPS humans can use our non-GPS senses to find them... maybe it's not so groovy after all...?

before my little internet journey today i went out into the world and ate really well @ manolis's before witnessing a huge and brief shower just as i got up to leave, it calmed down to a light rain and i went about my day, taking pictures (as ever), getting some rice milk in for grace, who's coming round today with her mum, (late as ever) to spend the night,

me & josiah are doing a song @ a christening in st mellitus tomorrow afternoon, big old church on tollington park very near me...

dusting off the suit for an hour or so...

x

1 comment:

Carol said...

I am glad you had more comments. That was the point. I am sure you have many friends, I am sorry that you were insulted. I will take that thought to heart, next Friendly Friday.
You wouldn't want to join the band would you?