Saturday, October 15, 2005

in my room

do my dreaming and my scheming...

ok so i'm pretty pleased with myself, got the router back on its feet and now finally i have the internet back... in my room...

so i'm listening to the beach boys tune of the same name...

do my crying and my sighing, laugh at yesterday...

G bought me a cake, really knows how to please me she does, not sure what the occasion is but cake is always welcome...

and then two random meetings:

firstly on thrusday night, spending my last fiver on a masala dosa with no peas in jai on stroud green road they didn't have a table for me at first, then two other people took the table they'd set for me... stood up as they prepared the food, reading from the field, they asked me to share a larger table with two others, i agreed and these other two, A & A, brothers, turned out to be really good company for an hour or so...

scottish, with very scottish names, the local A had just launched his designed product at a cycle show @ excel that day, the other A commutes 100 miles a day on his motorbike to work for a network company... i'd just got the helpful reply to my router query that day and it was nice to talk with A about it... very accomadating he was... they had a bottle of wine which they shared with me, we ended up having a great conversation about all sorts, local A using the word patina which is new to me, describing objects, i like objects with sincerity...

i hope to meet him again, an interesting guy, as was his brother,

and then today once i'd sorted the router and posted briefly i went out to do the filming from the park that i do, lovely day for it, i was just rounding up, filming the tree on the path back towards tollington way when a man started talking to me about the area... it's all changed, hasn't it? it turned out that he knew an awful lot about the neighbourhood, he'd lived on inglebury road as a child, which doesn't exist anymore, i finished the filming and we walked back to his flat on hornsey, him pointing out different things, the names of road as they were, when they were changed... back at his flat he showed me ordnance survey maps of the area from 1867 and 1914, birdbath road appearing in between the two maps, me & spski had narrowed it down to the 1890's when our house was built, on the strength of meeting I today, me & spski are going to have a history afternoon one day soon where we visit the islington museum as well as the archives that I told me about, i'd really like spski to meet I...

a perfect day and so nice to have an interesting conversation with a stranger, the universe working in my favour this week obviously...

x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that St Mellitus (patron saint of London)RC church was until the 1960s a protestant church? Probably C of E although not sure. I met somebody who lived in Kerry who grew up around here and was an altar boy who remebered the church being bought by the Catholic church. Another piece of useless local trivia for you.

ganching