Wednesday, January 18, 2006

yes i'm a geek

but i'm a quiet geek...

today was the second time i took off my motherboard... the first time was when i took it off to fix... well, in the end replace it...

taking off the motherboard was previously a scary prospect and now it's nothing special... i only wish my tax return followed the same trajectory...

beginning with very scary prospect we're now at scary prospect, 5 years later... more on that in the next week and a half...

last april i appear to have laid the groundwork for this year's tax return so you never know, we might get scary prospect down to unsettling prospect...

ok, geek statistics:

my AMD athlon 1800 processor was running at 40C before... a perfectly happy temperature, with a really loud CPU fan/heatsink buzzing away on top of it...

now it runs at 39C with a very sexy and quiet CPU fan/heatsink on it with the option of turning off this fan... leaving the heatsink alone to deal with it and my CPU temperature goes up to 45C...

perfectly happy still...

i am a great deal happier with my beautiful beast of a computer, i am also thankful to quietPC who have sold me both the quiet power supply and the quiet CPU fan/heatsink...

and finally i am thankful to the nice man who delivered my fan/heatsink this afternoon, exactly the same man who delivered my quiet power supply and flatscreen monitor last thursday morning... nice to see a friendly face...

of course within a few days the much reduced volume from my computer will seem loud again... i will be pushed once more into a never ending search for a genuinely silent computer...

but i'm happy now...

x

No comments: