Monday, May 01, 2006

beltane bluebell vistas

it's quarter to three... there's noone in the place... just you & me...

me & dinah at 2:45 last night, listening to frank sinatra just before bed...

waking up & breakfasting @ manolis's before getting the train over to kew gardens...

going to kew on or around may 1st has been something i've done or thought about doing for years now, (as documented in this post after last may's kew visit), the bluebells are in their element right now...

i'd left my camera at home by accident and i like the freedom this gave me, and the more direct experience of kew, though i'd like to go back with a camera... much to take pictures of...

it's such a visual experience, happening on one of the vistas, suddenly the trees open out and form a wide channel... beautiful... i really love the way it's planned out, vistas...

shortly after we arrived we decided to take a ride on a cart pulled by working horses... drey horses if you will, heavy, big fella's... it turned out we were the only takers so we had a private trip, just us in the back and the couple up front, another guy shovelling the occassional shit... the sunlight just beginning to break through the clouds... my beautiful girl and me...

we found the bluebells, swathing the ground, and we wandered about gazing at the trees... it turns out you can go up the pagoda these days, not today, but in the summer, we went in the palm house, 1840's designed and built,

our meanderings ending with tea/mocha & cake, dinah leaving to go to work and me remaining... producer G had emailed me a recording of last weeks gig and i'd put it on my shuffle before we left today... once dinah had left i put it in my ears and wandered...

good to listen to it, my performance ropey where i thought it had been ropey but good in general, good to lay to rest the fears i'd had about being terrible, whilst being realistic about my shortcomings...

i stayed @ kew for a good couple of hours after dinah had gone, just the perfect place, by now the sun was out, casting long shadows, warming... my shuffle in my ears, listening to all kinds of music, salif keita remixed, miles davis remixed, (a spacey version of in a silent way while i gazed at the temperate house and it's geometric perfection... made me want to get hold of the original album)...

walking aound and experiencing that visual world that has built up over the last 200 years or more, appreciating the layout of some designer hundreds of years ago...

a temple high on a mound, surrounded on all sides by undergrowth, unreachable...

a strange building with only one room, full of graffiti, really made me think of the leopard, burt lancaster and the faded glory of his once vibrant aristocratic life...

oh and my curtains almost fell down, more reluctant DIYing ahead...

x

No comments: