Thursday, July 15, 2004

last day of term aggression macro-biotic food

so it was the very last day of teaching on one of the courses i teach on (another last day tomorrow), this time last year a fight broke out, during which i was pushed around a bit, not my favourite memory, i remember playing the piano and crying, two of my students walking past (basskid being one), me thinking how i wouldn't want them to see me like this, but they were really good about it.

those same two students were with me today, with two others, one of whom is a white kid in a course of black or mixed-race young people, funny the language we use, they have almost all gone from being kids to young adults in the two years we've had them. anyway this white kid was on his own at first, but recently he has become so much more confident, he has been interacting with the others more,... but the end of term is a place where old aggressions can come to the surface, particularly if you're 16... so my last lesson with them was spent preventing fights, and you know i just don't dig that, had i had some arnica on me i would have taken it, "you're shook"... and that's it exactly, it shakes me. so basskid hung out right at the end and we talked, funny how i could be honest with him about how much i don't like violence, thinking of how we interacted when he first came to us two years ago...

then me & funki g strolled along the river a little, didn't do the river boat we'd said we would but we strolled, a misty rain coming down, over the millenium bridge, the last post work stroll down the river that we'll have for awhile, maybe forever? i'll see her tomorrow but she's being picked up from work, driving down to dover, a ferry, then onto amsterdam... sorely missed she will be.

and in a way, basskid, then funki g, human warmth does arnica's job for it,

& tonight i'm meeting her friend F for some macro-biotic food, some rilke related thing she's burning to tell me about...

No comments: