Monday, September 19, 2005

the void

my trip down to brighton yesterday was entirely due to P lending me the train fare (and looking after me all day)... close to the edge as i was... and today i'm over that edge...

lent my last note for a few hours to someone only to find they didn't have the means to give it back, which happens, and with this person i don't mind normally, i've got it, she hasn't, but when i don't have it either it puts a slightly different spin on it... so it hastened the approach of the void...

spent my last coins this morning on a croissant & a smoothie (bizaarely extravagant) and then went off to work, teaching the teaching group, nice to meet them and to check out how what they've got, P sang the song she wrote for D, we had a bit of a sharing of people's tunes to get a flavour of each other...

M bought me lunch, i finished up there and set off in the mid afternoon sunlight, pushed play on my shuffle and p j harvey's album came on, i decided to float along the river a bit, listening...

that first tune, the void, the sunlight, all quite intoxicating, cycling along the thames path passed the tate modern... stopped after the second tune and phoned my bank, the void though exciting is not a place i can stay in... since then i've found a way out but back then i was skint with no plan as to being not skint and there's something i like about that...

i decided to give the whole album a spin so i turned around and started heading towards the sea, crossed over by the tate modern and wended my way along the north bank of the river, as much as possible cycling by the water but it's a bit patchy the thames path once you get passed the tower of london,

got as far as the isle of dogs and realised i'd gone too far, missed the limehouse cut where the regents canal spits out... retraced my wheels a little, found the cut, by now the album was finished, not ready to comment on it beyond a yes, yes, but i'll let you know my thoughts later...

so i followed the regent all the way from the thames to angel, got home 2 & a half hours after i left work, body tired, 13 miles of cycling... ran my bath straight away... p j harvey & the void mapped onto my physical exhausted self...

x

2 comments:

Nicky Peacock said...

i read a neruda poem once and it made me cry..
something about casting nets into the sad waters of yr eyes.
or something.

there is no sadness like south american sadness.

that shit'll finish you off.

(i like the way you end *everything* with a kiss, i wonder if you do it on yr shopping lists and notes to the milkman,
two pints today xx)

trave said...

we've been doing a lot of cycling recently.

we've been camping in the cotswolds (35 miles away) and near droitwich (40 miles).

mel's getting a new bike this week! I may have to get one too if i cant keep up with her...