Saturday, September 24, 2005

transformation

a little annoyed that i forgot about the march today, would have liked to have been part of that protest against the war... i love that it was worldwide, 100,000 people in washington (and that's what they're telling us, so maybe 130,000?)...

another hurricane hit the american gulf today/yesterday, rita gave the authorities something to be organised about, they'll be hoping we forget the way they dealt with katrina no doubt...

and i didn't go to a party tonight, feel a little cocooned still, almost hibernating, or maybe woodshedding as the jazzers put it... would have been a good party as well, L (bassist)... his flatmate C, they have a recording studio project together, C's birthday tonight and he invited me to bring my sound module down and play, a keyboard there...

but if you don't feel it you don't feel it...

and what did i do i hear you ask yourselves?

well i stayed in and got my video footage together, sat through 20 minutes of my ceiling, mapping out how it changed over that time... video'd at some point before spski went away, i woke up and gazed at it,
the pattern that the light reflecting off the cars outside made on it, i turned on my camera and lay it on my bed when i went downstairs for my cup of tea, got chatting to spski... came back up 20 minutes later... only now looking at it properly, although it was still on my camera when me & P went down to brighton last weekend and we stared at the first 5 - 10 minutes before our train arrived in preston park... it stays still for minutes at a time but when it changes it transforms in a great way... my film is about the transformation between summer and autumn, well, it's now & we're almost all the way into autumn now, but transformation still... and i'd love to use one of all of these ceiling transformations, as itself and also representing the shift from light to dark... summer to autumn...

such an odd activity, staring at a largely motionless thing, waiting for it to change, reminded me of a night years ago when i was lying on the sofa in my parttime lover's flat, waiting for her to come in to her living room, listening for sounds of her, i guess we'd slept separately that night but i was hoping she'd sneak in to join me... and as i was lying there waiting and listening this in turn reminded me of a couple of other things, a piece of music that is great, that is grooving away but which really rises at one point, which i listen to, trying to divine the moment when it builds, getting it wrong... (something off miles's porgy & bess which i must impotr into my PC, i lust after it's sound these days)... and then one other thing? i wander what it was...? i wander if i made a note of it...

also i've been thinking about the i-ching again recently, particularly now, looking at the changes in the world around me, the i-ching being the book of changes... something i read or talked with SJ about - to do with really looking at the changes around you and seeing the seeds of future events in the changes you see now...

maybe i'll ask it something again...

x

No comments: