Tuesday, July 19, 2005

balfron & trellick

a question i asked myself on saturday, approaching the blackwall tunnel, which i stated online @ my flickr, is this building:

balfron

a sibling of this building?:



the latter being the trellick tower which i wrote a song about in the first year or so after i moved here from oxfordshire... mistakenly calling it the trellis building...

and i've found the answer with a bit of research on the web, which of course has pleased me no end with my detective skills... the first picture is of balfron tower, built a few years before & serving as a model for trellick tower, both designed by erno goldfinger who sued ian fleming for using his name as an arch bad guy in james bond.

if i find the recording i made of the trellis building song, i will post it up here, (assuming it's not rubbish, which i suppose it could be)... i hope i can... (& i hope it's not rubbish)

x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was quite young I worked with an architect with the same name as me who was very old and she had started her career working in Goldfinger's office. He was apparently a truly scary man.

ganching

longcat said...

i'll bet he was, one of these visionary people who are convinced of the rightness of their ideas... ouch x