Sunday, October 03, 2004

glacier auntie E book symbiosis

so i lost my keys, two weeks ago, i went home to blewbury to see my family & when i came back i reached into my pocket and there they weren't,

just prior to leaving the house before the trip i'd had to nip out to buy cat food and in the hurry, i thought maybe i'd put them down somewhere, but i really looked and they were nowhere to be found, i phoned home and they weren't there, even phoned my friend M to see if i'd left them round there,... no avail,

because we have so many people living in this house there is a spare set, i had that for awhile but it was beginning to impinge on the other housemates, C needed them earlier this week and so she'd borrowed auntie E's set, which i then swapped for the spare set, and needed to return to auntie E before tomorrow, when she'll need them.

i was gradually accepting the fact that i'd lost my set, at some point in the last 2 weeks i'd taken my camera out of my pocket and the long string had pulled my keys out of my pocket, i started to believe that my keys were somewhere in the lovely countryside around blewbury, dropped on one of the walks i'd gone on,

so today, just as i was about to leave the house, i picked up my keys, and realised they were my keys, they'd been there all along, and spski commented later as i was telling him, your room is like a glacier, things disappear into it that come back at some point later, we started talking about that alpen climbing accident in which some people fell into a glacier in the 20's, only to come out again, perfectly preserved almost 70 years later,...

so on my way home from waitrose today i dropped in on auntie E and gave her her keys back, fell into a long chat, which is inescapable, and finally left there i don't know how many hours later, lovely though this chat, talked about family, relatives, distant relatives you've never met...

it struck me this afternoon as i was reading in bed the book that D & H gave me as a present for singing @ their wedding, that my sister K would enjoy this book. it is a huge hardback called Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. i never buy hardbacks, they are too much of a pain in the arse to read, but this seems to be a really well written book, D has given me one book before which was great, i do trust his book choosing abilities,

i left the wedding last night around 11:30 to a light drizzle, walked along the thames to the cutty sark DLR getting actually really wet, just in my suit, trying to protect this book in my jacket but not succeeding, really was very wet when i got onto the train, wetter than i've yet been in the suit, meant that i didn't want to rest the book on my legs as i began reading it in my drunken state, had to hold it up, away from contact with my wet clothes,... pain, huge hardbacks, what can you do? and it is a lovely present,

so i rang my sister today after going to manolis's too late to eat, had a brief chat with him and scrutinised his globe of the world, had yet another oh, that's where that is moment, (this time with cyprus) which i hope to have many more of, eventually ate in O & L juice bar on the holloway road for the first time, not bad as a contrast to the dross that missing manolis on a sunday normally offers me, but to be honest the food on offer is alright, but the same but better food i could get @ the italian deli round the corner from me, so why aren't i eating there on a sunday?

anyway, the point is i spoke to my sister, and amongst other things i recomended this book to her, and she said yes, i do like it, i'm reading it now, which is (i believe), unprecedented for me & her, if not for me & most people, except for when i was in that book club back then, so although symbiosis is the wrong word almost entirely, that's the best i've got today, my and K are symbiotically reading Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrel, it's going to be tricky talking about it, i think we're going to have to start quoting what page we're on to make sure we don't tell each other what they're about to read... anyway, also had a nice chat to E today, maybe go to the pictures this week, but i must go now, because i might go to the pictures this very night but i'd better get my arse in gear if that's going to happen,...

adios

x

No comments: