Wednesday, March 30, 2005

my life from 6 to 26 years ago

in 1999 my dad took on some more treasuring for various different organisations and took over my bedroom as his office, i'd moved out 5 years or so before this so i barely noticed... he & my mum bagged up my belongings still in the cupboard in there and put them in the loft...

earlier this year my sister K went home for a week to help mum & dad clear out the loft and they cleared up roughly half of it...

i didn't expect to be doing it today but i found myself listening to scott walker and then gillian welch on my shuffle as i went through boxes of my old stuff, i'd lived in that room until i went to university in 1991, returning for almost a year around '96 i think... there were photo's from my student days, posters of the rock'n'roll band i set up in the sixth form, countless notebooks from my late teenage confused mind... my cuddly stegosaurus that my gran made me, a photo of me winning the decorate your bicycle competition at age 5 (i think) - mum had spent awhile making my bicycle look like an aeroplane, i doubt i had anything to do with it, my brother D also won in his age range, his bike was a fish... also largely the work of our mum...

my trombone was up there, i gave it a few tentative notes, i really should sell it on ebay, or let mum sell it, i'm not about to take it up again...

i gleaned afew books, quite afew pieces of paper with musical fragments on them, photo's, i threw out an enormous amount of cassette tapes, 3 bibles, (well actually i did in the end keep the one that i got @ sunday school when i was 8), many posters, quite afew books... which was particularly wierd, but necessary...

mum has given me some dresses that her mum made for K when she was grace's age...

and i've played the piano...

not nearly as much as i intend to, i found myself really thinking about when i have a place to myself and i can move it... although i could concievably put it in my room now...?

beautiful, beautiful thing, just the touch i love...

x

No comments: