Thursday, January 27, 2005

continuing adventures of tax return control freak

i have just discovered two things which effect my completion of this tax return, i must have known both of these things somewhere in my brain...

i go to the inland revenue's website where my tax return promises me i can file it electronically, and of which i had an uneasy feeling...

whereupon i see a huge ad with the date january 31st written in big letters, this is the first of my two discoveries, january has 31 days... not 30 as i'd been assuming, which means that the last day i can hand in my tax return is in fact monday and not friday (tomorrow) as i'd previously thought, i'm working until 1pm on monday and i could quite feasibly get up to the tax office before it shuts after that...

wow...

so tonight is not my last possible night for doing it...

the website then leads me through the registration process for filing online.. uneasiness abating... i'm begining to think it's all going my way when...:

to activate this service you will need your activation PIN, we will send you your PIN by post and it should reach you within seven working days....

seven working days...

this is the second of my two dicoveries, that in fact i will not be able to file my tax return online, and that had i done this two weeks ago, i would have been able to... nice...

in fact i did exactly this last year, waited until the very last moment & then found i should have done something sooner, hence my uneasy feeling, but at least i've registered now, 12 months before i'll need to use it, i'll get my PIN in the post, which only lasts for a month, i'll forget to use it, a year will pass, i'll go online with a sinking feeling only hours before i'm eligible for the £100 fine... i see it all so clearly...

now continuing adventures of tax return is the name of a tune i wrote in january of 2003? 2002? when i was living with busby.. a track that me & nippy jammed with and were going to do in longcat & hermione, our duo that never got off the ground... which is elliptical because now i'm in nippy's band, rehearsed with them last night after running search & reflect workshops all day...

edge is the guitarist for nippy, he who i had such emotional wierdness about being in my band, (i doubt i blogged it, too murky), my issues were about control, amongst other things, and i looked on nippy's band as a way i could check out how me & edge get on in someone else's thing, not so pressured...

and it is so clear how he needs to be in control in that band, which is just what nippy needs in fact, that was the trouble before, a lack of a musical director, & edge fills those shoes... but the dynamic between the musicians hasn't really settled yet, he's giving out his ideas and putting things in place... we'll see how the others handle it...

in KYO there was / is a real feeling of community, in that each player brings to it what they want, maybe not community but festival... i hesitate to use the word democracy... (rehearsing with them tomorrow night)... on my birthday last summer i had D & S, (S likening D to an african dictator), from different ends of this control / anarchy spectrum, S percussioning for KYO, D running his own band, tightly...

and where is my 4-piece amongst all of this, aside from being more in my head than in reality, more with the KYO school i am, let the music blossom, but maybe i could have been / be a stronger organising force, or at least maybe in the absence of that tighter control from me edge saw it as a power vacuum and acted in the way that so disturbed me...

wierd to talk about music, which is so beautiful and free flowing, and also to talk about power vacuums and control...

x

1 comment:

felinity said...

I know I shouldn't laugh (about the tax return).

But you do make me laugh.