Sunday, June 20, 2004

a different endgame thoughts of kingdom

ok, so a different endgame, this time against stallion4, gameknot sure gives me brain food.

the greggie endgame still sits there, the odd thing about gameknot, can be so frenetic, then so placid, moments from annihilation.

still almost setting up my studio, thinking of going over to princess crescent to check out the feel of that beautiful piano, thinking also of how to include my thoughts on the kingdom of my youth into that gig.

when i went home this easter to see my folks, partly because dad came out of hospital not too long before, i spent some time walking around the village where they live, where i grew up. i climbed the hill that i used to watch the sunset from as a teenager. the hill i have since found out has twelve (i think it's 12) horses sacrificed and buried around it. so i was stood on top of this hill, thinking about the countryside, noticing for the first time the army of electricity pylons marching in single file in a zigzag path from didcot. and i came across the notion that this was the kingdom of my youth. this landscape that i looked at so many times in my solitude back then, as now. i was thinking of the area enclosed by the trainline didcot - reading (and on to london), on the east, maybe the disused railway line to the west, probably as far down to the ridgeway to the south, and didcot in the north.

i was also thinking about the day me and J took acid and walked out past this hill, east, through villages, eventually to another hill, can't think of it's name now, a beautiful summers day...

so when i got back to london, i was reading my book of rilke, and i found that there is a section of that book, Uncollected Poems 1913 - 1918, that begins with The Spanish Trilogy includes You who never arrived and To Holderlin and ends with To Music, which in some way represents this same territory of land that i called the kingdom of my youth. You who never arrived is the point at the top of the hill where i stand to watch the sunset.

odd i know, but quite a strong theme for me, You who never arrived is already in the gig in my version of Like someone in love, some lines in To Holderlin i've already quoted in this space, talking about the jam session i was involved in (see Journeys), and they have a huge resonance for me. i'm thinking of taking the listeners on a journey through that territory, maybe with reference to the disused railway that comes from finsbury park... certain tunes throughout the gig with poetry...

stallion4 almost beaten starts another game even before this one is finished, playing him twice, right at the beginning and end of two different games.

slight smell of rain through my window, london.

x

No comments: