Tuesday, June 14, 2005

cycling routes reading blogs meeting as a house

i found it a little odd when i read my own blog from beginning to end, but i've just read someone elses also from beginning to end and it may be indicative of something in my character...

yesterday (sunday... why is it always after midnight when i blog these days?) i slept way too long, did my laundry and then jumped on the £10 bike and headed east...

it was fantastic... i found the new river...
which i've known about for awhile but haven't actually hung out with before... not a cycle path and in fact very bumpy, also circuitous, from the edge of finsbury park where i picked it up, (as though it were a scent), to near enough clissold park it goes in a big arc... not so great for getting places but lovely for seeing london from odd behind angles...

two swan couples, both with signets, the first group younger and more numerous... all bundled on top of each other in a heap,
mum & dad occasionally lifting their heads up from their bodies to look at me in that my neck could break your arm kind of a way...

the second swan couple on the water... only about 5 signets, older than the others, so is that normal? of the heap of younger signets will half of them die by the time they get to the age of these others? or are swan couple A just more fertile than swan couple B?

no idea...

i made it all the way to the river lea (or lee, as my bike map has it offering the choice), a strange concrete area really near where i used to live (in stamfordhill) which used to be some kind of waterworks... now graffiti'd up
and abandoned but for a big crowd of bmx bikers who'd constructed some kind of halfpipe in one of the bays... i felt like a polite older man, (which is what i was, probably),

i say, is the river just over there?

my route taking me through their halfpipe type thing, they encouraging me to go up the sides (my £10 bike not dissimilar to a bmx) but me declining...

then joyfully cycling down the river... crossing over into walthamstow marshes, just happily floating along... eventually get back to the east bank around hackney and found my way back again... through hackney downs, cutting across stoke newington then wending my way back to clissold park where i saw the aftermath of the stoke newington festival...

i stopped in @ the landlords and further refined the piano piece i'm working on, combining right & left hands doing quite tricky things, nice to be challenged by my own composition... then home...

today i changed my route home from work and took in the beautiful highbury new park... tree lined avenue, new plan for tomorrow morning, maybe even include a bit of the canal on my way home?

oh exciting, exciting, exciting... rediscovering london from it's quiet bicyle friendly roads...

saw dr K tonight, we ate @ jai's, i tired to get her to follow the regent canal all the way to hers... beautiful early evening as it was... victoria park, mile end park...

then i came home to a house meeting, long... kind of dull but also good...

x

1 comment:

felinity said...

Your cycling posts are lovely -- they make me really want to cycle around south London. Alas I have no bicycle...