Sunday, November 20, 2005

joseph schillinger

i was wondering about palindromic scales again, since i checked them out last week and i typed that phrase into google and i found a few interesting things...

firstly someone called Benjamin Tubb, he made a list of all the palindromic scales in the same number format i use to teach with... it's dated 1981... he's also got a list of international scales which i'm going to be perusing...

on my musicianship module, which i teach to two of the courses at my london bridge work, i try and present students with a range of different scales for them to check out and potentially use... he's got way more scales than i've seen...

my little investigation the other day about palindromic scales was just a teasing look, he has it all laid out... of course you've got to hear them as well as just see them written down, i'm glad of what i've got both in my teaching and my own journey... glad also of this resource he offers...

then he mentions joseph schillinger, a russian born composer/teacher who came to new york in the 30's and taught loads of groovy students including gershwin, he had some kind of mathematical approach to teaching music, which is my bag too... i'm just finding out about him, and he reminds me of count alfred korzibski who taught his general semantics to william burroughs amongst others in the 40's... also of willhelm reich, european ideas fleeing to america... a rich time...

just as i write this my eyes fall on the edward said DVD i borrowed from D (not the writer of book about fiat cars)... another great teacher and ideas man... must watch that again some day soon.. i saw it at the cinema back in early summer i think it was...

x

1 comment:

Nicky Peacock said...

sounds hot.
makes me dizzy.
for real. i think it's my malaise.
yes, i did get caught in the rain..taking photographs on a wet day in a walled garden.

my mother often uses the word consumptive.

farewell if i don't make it.
*cough*
i am an old fashioned kind of girl.