Friday, March 09, 2007

ghost sounds

i had a couple of pints with JtJP @ hammersmith yesterday, very nice it was too, could well get back into pints...

anyway we were talking about his time as a student @ berkeley, and he mentioned a technique using the strings in the piano as a kind of reverb, something i've done myself over the years in my own way...

it's one of the things about my piano module that i really like, the fact that it models this kind of piano behaviour and i think i used it once or twice in the early improvisations where i was mainly using the module...

anyway, this early evening i did week 38 of the weekly improvisation and it was largely governed by this, my left hand holding down a chord which i was careful not to sound while my right hand played single notes with the left hand strings resonating with the right hand strings... hypnotic... to me anyway... rendering now...

i had an odd afternoon after teaching this morning, waited around a bit to talk with yimkin but in the end didn't get a chance to and i was a little displaced by this... went out into the cold but bright air with rain close at hand and retraced my steps to the church i checked out on wednesday... some more pictures and thoughts and video's... then cycled home with the benefit of my waterproof trousers as it had begun to rain on & off by then...

manolis's was populated by a strange old guy shouting into his mobile phone and me... manolis himself commenting that he could have gone to cyprus and back by the time that man came off the phone...

and as you can see by the comments i've got a rival longcat somewhere who is jokingly irritated by my presence... me being here 2 & 2/3rd years and they arriving only a couple of days ago... i saw their comment on getting home from drinking with JtJP last night and i was pretty drunk and belligerent (in my way) and i kind of regret not using that alcohol fueled state to hurl e-abuse last night...

but i didn't, dinah did a little later and by then someone calling themselves dongcat had already put their oar in...

i'm not sure i can be arsed...

they're from the longcat is looooooong school of longcat worship which is altogether separate from my use of the name, my name coming from waking up one morning in the flat on hercules street (opposite manolis's), looking down at busby (who was the reason i was there, catsitting, in that lovely flat on my own) and exclaiming about what a long cat he was...

then me & nippy called ourselves longcat & hermione for awhile, no gigs but many beautiful jams...

saw nippy this afternoon in fact, few and far between these days our meetings, that's true of many of my friends at the moment, i'm kind of on the furthest away point in my orbit and have been for a few weeks / months...

not sure if i'm about to come back or are drifting further away...

x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long cat is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

-Tacgnol

Thespis said...

Oh look, my alter ego. How's it going? Tacgnol is a cool cat.

Longcat imposter, you might be named after a long cat, but I AM Long Cat. So who's cooler? huh?

^__^