Monday, November 08, 2004

early cinema surviving on coins new theatre thing

once over the initial shock of having very little money until next thursday i realise that i kind of like it, G's pot of money is still there, he's happy for me to spend it (it seems), even suggested a way of converting it to paper money, tomorrow is my day to check that out, the thing is i like that it is just a pot of money, it takes me awhile to spend change, it takes me no time at all to spend notes...

so i went to manolis's, stocked up on loo roll, went to the pictures & spent time in a pub in chiswick, all while spending only change, which is an obscure pleasure but a pleasure none the less.

manolis announced that he was learning how to read music from me, in exchange for greek lessons, i love that, the oddness of it, and who knows maybe one day we'll be struggling over each others teachings one day...

loo roll, 18 for the price of 12, recycled.

the film was the cabinet of dr caligari, made in 1919, i'd seen it once before with two improvisers providing the accompaniment, steve noble and ... the sax player he used to play with, maybe also a steve, this time it was accompanied by andrew youdell on the piano, skryabin-esque in places, he said the only direct quote was abit of brahms, really moved me, the images with the music, such an ideal job for me, i checked it out awhile back, must get on it again, put my learning this skryabin piece in a context...

and then on to chiswick to meet with actors, director, lighting, producer of this play love and understanding that i'm going to write the music for. my initial reaction (this was a read through) not as strong as my reaction to bash but very glad to be working in this field again, S & B, old friends from university who i saw at D & H's wedding are in it & are my contact with it...

and now i'm still a touch drunk, no work tomorrow thankfully, heading bedward.

x

No comments: