Wednesday, August 25, 2004

quite a time

it certainly seems that way,

finished sleeping where i fall, peter coyote, fantastic, right up to the last page, a beautiful book, so i picked up vertigo, w g sebald, as i left the house today, keyboard on my back, on the way to a rehearsal with the band. i've read vertigo at least once, twice i think already. it is a killer. the first time i read it i was with E, a couple of years ago, i remember reading bits to her in bed, her not liking it... me loving it.

i went to jai krishna tonight, wonderful south indian restaurant that always sorts me out, i'd felt a little undernourished before. the falafel i'd grabbed this afternoon had given me that definate i am really in need of this food, this is nourishing me, feeling that jai often gives me. after my day i came home very much in need of sleep and food, so i napped for a few hours, then rose and jai'd, finally watching six feet under. i was reading in the restaurant & i was feeling a lovely cushioning from the talking around me, borne along by the writing. when my food arrived i was at the mercy of other peoples conversations, a largish group behind me talking at length about childhood, single mothers, separations... very glad to get back into the book near the end of my meal, a little digestive page or two.

earlier i'd been reading it in the dentists, where i'd gone to mind grace whilst josiah had her teeth done, then i'd been aware of talking as well, but i'd found it harder to concentrate, a small boy with his dad, the mum in there, similar situation to me & grace, only grace was sleeping, this boy was talking incessantly, rabbiting on while his dad ignored him, i'm normally very intolerant of people disturbing my reading but this was a small child, i looked over at sleeping grace, thinking of her when she can talk. although she talks alot now.

i went round there (josiah's) yesterday (monday) morning, passing by as i was wearing josiah's nice cosy top. i'd taken it to E's because i'd been so cold last week when i had that rude awakening, wandering around the park trying to get some sunshine on me, so i was prepared this time. i popped in to josiah's to return the top, josiah herself was still in need of sleep so i fed grace and chilled out with her for an hour or so while her mum got her head down. grace chatting away like anything, going to be very articulate.

i got a little bit of her charm today when she woke up on the bus home, me with my keyboard still, i went to the dentists straight from the rehearsal, i was beginning to really feel the rattiness of sleep & food deprivation, carrying the keyboard too... but grace and her charms, actually on the bus i was fine, that lovely interlude from carrying that public transport gives, i love the way she looks at me...

but there is another story to be told, quite apart from the great party i went to, (the gucci girls and their beautiful spare bedroom), it's been awhile since i blogged, no, this story concerns the sound module i've been after....

after my morning with grace i came home and picked up the hammer again, finishing the cabling stuff i was doing to get this house online, cedric nash was a great help and it's all looking groovy down there now. i went online to make sure it was still all working and i found the GEM piano module i've been looking for on ebay, and the closing time for bidding was later that night,

my first ebay bid, it was mine for several hours. i went and played with L (double bass) for awhile doing my stuff, then we had a band meeting (other band), which inevitably started late and went on much later than intended, i found myself out when i need to be at home tending my bid, not to mention the sopranos which i was going to miss. josiah videod the sopranos, i rang my brother and he said with jut over an hour to go i still had it, i left the meeting before the end to go to an internet cafe and be there for that moment, but couldn't find such a place around liverpool street after 11 o'clock. london let me down. i trekked madly over to charing cross for the easyeverthing shop, thinking it was a 24 hour place (i'm sure it had been at one time), no avail, tried to ring my sister, no answer, decided to go home and leave it in the lap of the gods,

and somebody had pipped me to it, the email announcing my pipping came at Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:38:10 -0700, which i don't really understand, oh no maybe i do, so this is actually 10:38, exactly an hour before the cutoff. if i'd been able to get online in that last hour...

let it go r... let it go...

No comments: