Tuesday, June 03, 2008

stop and search

so i was on the phone to N, he who helped me with the hammond organ thing, and i arrive at turnpike lane station, where i've decided to take the tube to work because i can travel and mark at the same time, and i see these two structures just in front of the barriers, and heaps of police, some community support officers and some regular police...

so i ask one of them what it is and he tells me they're knife sensors like at airports...

i go and recharge my oyster card and coming back i decide to film the strange structures while passing through and one of the police - the same man i'd asked about the structures before, asks me why i'm filming and decides to stop and search me...

this is my 1st stop & search experience and i ask about it, apparently it's under section 44 of the terrorism act... i also ask about the amount of police present and he says it's to do with boris johnson's new strategy to make people feel safe on the tube...

and it's makes me sad that i missed the party on saturday night on the circle line just before that other genius idea of boris's came into effect, the banning of alcohol on the tube system...

so a whole crowd of police randomly hanging around turnpike lane police station is going to make us feel safe?

i suppose it's good that a white, middle class man like myself was stopped & searched as opposed to the more traditional black folks, but still... boris just keeps getting lower and lower in my estimation...

x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, what do you expect to happen if you take a photograph in a public place?? The police are in danger of alienating everyone with their ploddish, heavy-handed reactions to what is perfectly legal behaviour (and seeing loads of police hanging around tube stations always makes me fell more nervous).