Saturday, October 28, 2006

emotional

just listening to a CD i've made for an old friend who i don't see so often any more...

bo is the name i call her, and when i was going through the recordings of past gigs me & josiah had done i found a tune that we'd dedicated to bo, being as her mum had just died...

so i'm seeing bo tonight @ volupte, me & dinah are going out to celebrate dr K's birthday and many of that old circle of friends will be there and it seemed daft to just give her this cd with only one track on it, so i rummaged around and found a beautiful selection of tunes to give her and that's what i'm listening to now & it's bringing me quite close to tears...

last track now, allen ginsberg reading howl...

not so easy blogging while listening to his strange monotone voice...

but i wish to describe a couple of things from this last week... i intended to blog it yesterday but the rhodes got fixed and all else left my brain...

so firstly porgy & bess that godma G had free tickets for and which we went to after attending part of producerG's music forum on thursday night, (at which i sang my naked flame tune which godma G told me later had been tender as an autumn sky)...

i know porgy and bess from the miles davis/gil evans album, that great musical partnership which only gave us 3 albums (give or take a few reissues)...

it was a great production and i was pleased to hear what i thought were direct borrowings of gil evans arrangements in some of the tunes, great story, great performers, although a couple of the voices weren't quite up to the amazing gershwin songs in my opinion...

it's made me really want to find the miles davis version, which i have on minidisk and maybe even on cd but i'm trying to find on mp3 through soulseek so i can hear it on my shuffle (strange the way today's technology pushes me in strange directions - my computer so full i'm reluctant to import direct from the CD even though it would be exactly the same amount of memory that downloading it would be... hmmm... where is that cd?)

and then yesterday going to volupte to pay for my & dinah's tickets for tonight, placing me in the right part of town to visit the lebanese bakery that i used to eat at when i worked round there (farringdon) seeing F who runs it and who's opening line to me was how many years has it been? ... 8... 9?...

x

No comments: