Sunday, March 07, 2010

before time 1980 techyness dream eating

on friday morning i just missed a call from a student... i knew roughly what he was going to say...

sorry i'm late, or, sorry i'm not coming...

anyway, the answerphone message he left remained unlistened to until this morning...

also on friday i finally got my windows 7 computer to sync up to my HTC Hero phone...

which means that:

a - i could install the new ROM that came out for the hero (on orange) a few weeks back

& b - i could back up all my text messages that would have been deleted by this process..

they all got backed up onto my gmail... which is really odd, seeing text messages in gmail...

so anyway, it all happened, it all works, which is pleasing...

i woke up this morning and looked at my phone, and it told me i had an answerphone message from june 22nd 1980, this being the answerphone message from friday morning,

from before my phone got it's ROM changed and therefore before my phone's current conciousness came into being,

like imagining events from before i was born...

anyway, i like the fact that it chose june 22nd 1980... pleasing x

but while i'm talking about things working, i have a few positive and one negative "things working" stories to tell,

1stly the negative, the mopho is not responding to treatment, or at least, not the last bout of trying to fix it that i gave it, with the arrival of the soundcard with it's MIDI in&out i can now talk to the mopho, and i've tried a few different ways of getting it back on it's feet but it's resisting...

but in a positive way, i was able to take the sound i use in an SJP song, put it into the computer, then load up the Tetra sound editor and manually program that in so i have the exact sound now... and all the original mopho sounds i programmed are all similarly in my computer now, in code, so i can get them into the tetra slowly... and maybe someone @ DSI will tell me how to load them onto the tetra in a much easier way...

but sad for the mopho, i can't help be struck by the fact that it broke (or i found out that it was broke) on the day i ordered the tetra... to anthropomorphise my mopho a little, either it knew it's old age was coming and it just managed to hold on until i had a replacement, or it saw that i was getting the tetra and it broke itself in a fit of anger..

so, fantastic that i have the tera now, but what would i have done if i hadn't been buying the tetra when it happened?

my other (partial) success concerns the tetra and the spin doctor... the spin doctor being a purple object with 16 knobs on it that you can plug into any MIDI device and set those knobs to controlling the device, i got it from D (moog drummer D) on thursday...



i'm currently plugging it into the tetra, which is a beautiful synth, but it doesn't have that many knobs on it, you can assign 4 of the knobs to whatever you want, which is great, but i want to be able to control more than just those...

so far i've been able to set up 11 knobs on the spin doctor to control the tetra and it's lovely...

there are many, many more settings i might want to change yet, and also i need to do a bit of learning as to how to speak in NRPN MIDI messages, but it's a really nice and intuitive way of interacting with a synth and i'm really digging it...

ok one more thing, i dreamt of bass player A last night - well - this morning, and it was the end of a long day, moving things, and suddenly he came out with this amazing veggie indian food... and offered half to me - by saying "well, you're not going to get a quote on it", which seemed to me to be inviting me to eat...

and i ate, in my dream...

x

2 comments:

Miguel said...

Hi Longcat,

I've been struggling to program my tetra s I can use my bitstream3x. Would you be so kind to show me your findings about controlling the filter with 2 knobs?

Please help me, you know how frustrating this midi thing can be.

Thanks

Miguel said...

Hi Longcat,

I've been struggling to program my tetra s I can use my bitstream3x. Would you be so kind to show me your findings about controlling the filter with 2 knobs?

Please help me, you know how frustrating this midi thing can be.

Thanks